We are one step closer to Spring – the clocks have been turned ahead and I will take an hour less sleep if it means that it will be warmer soon! This next redo was an attempt at willing spring to arrive more speedily – it’s a nice pastel green, that means it must be nearly spring, right?!
My sweet neighbor sent me a note the other day to tell me that she was getting rid of a dry sink, and I was welcome to it. It was a dated, dark pine and although sturdy, had seen better days. Truth be told, I’ve never quite understood dry sinks… I understand their practical and historical, pre-plumbing use, but I don’t get the reproductions. They defy some rule in my subconscious… Anyhow, it was free and since I wasn’t keeping it, it didn’t really matter whether I “get them” or not. And if the new owner didn’t get the dry sink concept either, it could be used as a springtime potting bench! (I’m really trying, can you tell? Spring will get here!)
So I started with this…
There was a little wooden plug missing in the front, so I popped one off the back and replaced it. I figured no one would miss it there. After mixing up a custom color using The Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company’s Milk Paint Base, blue, green, and white acrylic paints, I gave it two coats and waited for it to dry. If you would like to know how to make any color of your own milk paint, I posted instructions here.
Even if for nothing else, this could be one of the biggest reasons I love milk paint – it dries so quickly. The first coat dries within minutes, the second takes a bit longer, but is generally workable within an hour or so. I don’t very often go past the second coat – I find that it just starts to pull up your paint after that. Not always, but enough, and two coats usually gives the aged finish I’m looking for. This picture was after the first coat was applied. The lighter colored areas are dry – it always looks fairly ugly after the first coat.
While the paint was drying, I cut and secured a pretty vintage paper for the drawer liner. Once the paint dried, I went to it with my scraper, knocking off any areas that were open to chipping. A quick coat of clear paste wax and this baby was done! I put the original knobs back on – previously they looked tired, but with the green, they popped and look fresh.
Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think! And if you would like to follow me, there are a few different options to the right.
Featured at these wonderful blogs:
Sunday: Nifty Thrifty Things – Do Small Things with Love – VMG206 – Finding Silver Pennies – SohoSonnet Monday: Mod Vintage Life – Home Coming – Cupcakes and Crinoline – Beyond the Picket Fence – Stone Gable – Dwellings Tuesday: Elizabeth and Co. – Common Ground – My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia – Coastal Charm – Knick of Time – Cozy Little House – Tiny Sidekick – Domestically Speaking Wednesday: Savvy Southern Style – Glamorous Affordable Life – Redoux Interiors – City Farmhouse – The Dedicated House – Chic By Tab – Style Sisters Thursday: No Minimalist Here – Imparting Grace – The Charm of Home – From My Front Porch to Yours – Craftberry Bush – Embracing Change – The Vintage Farmhouse – A Prudent Life Friday: Miss Mustard Seed – Nancherrow – Funky Junk Interiors – Stylish Patina – My Romantic Home – French Country Cottage – The Shabby Nest – Jennifer Rizzo – One Project Closer – I Heart Naptime – The Cottage Market Saturday: Life on Lakeshore Drive